European / International Joint Ph.D. in
Social Representation and Communication

Financial Support for Selected Applicants

Grants for international physical and virtual mobility

  • Research trainees coming from network universities under the ERASMUS-SOCRATES LLP programme funded by the EC and co-funded by Universities, can apply for financial support on the basis of the mobility exchanges programme co-ordinated by the University of Rome ‘La Sapienza’ with and among all European/International Joint PhD network partner Universities.
  • The founding University Sapienza also has 4 active student mobility protocols with the following universities for selected candidates:

    • Universidad de Belgrano (Argentina)
    • Universidade Federal de Santa Caterina (Brazil)
    • University of Ottawa (Canada)
    • Nankai University (China)

    A single grant of 2100 € for a 3-month mobility period is usually available yearly for each agreement for mobility

  • Sapienza has issued a specific call for international mobility for doctoral trainees enrolled in their 2nd year in 2016 at individual and network level. This type of call will has been issued again in 2017 and doctoral trainees enrolled in the European/International Joint PhD on Social Representations and Communication have been supported for their international mobility all over the network partner Universities to be supervised by their foreign co-tutors.



Grants for scholarships

  • Research trainees can apply for scholarship available at the partner Universities, contacting directly the representative staff member and the Institution.
  • In Italy, if available, 3-years scholarships funded by the founding University of Rome “Sapienza” may be offered to a restricted number of excellent candidates (of any country) selected on the basis of scientific merit. Motivation to develop a co-operative research project proposed will be also explored during a personal interview with the director of the European/International Joint PhD in Social Representations and Communication Research Centre and Multimedia Lab.

    In addition, if the applicant is an employee of the Italian public administration, in case of admission to the European/International Joint PhD on S.R. & C. (without a fellowship) he is entitled to ask an extraordinary leave for the whole period of the doctorate (3 years). During that period, if the public employee does not benefit of a fellowship or of any kind of external funding, he will continue on receiving his wage and social security welfare allowances from the public administration for which he works; the latter will also continue on paying the social security welfare allowances and the retirement pension contributions for the public employee. This period of leave for study is taken into consideration for the public employee’s career advancement.

    Research Fellows with grant (i.e. “assegnisti” in the Italian academic system) can apply for the European/International Joint PhD in S.R. & C. and be admitted as additional candidates (the maximum number of additional candidates possible must be equal to 1/3 of the positions available in the call), if they pass the selection procedures. They must however clearly indicate their status of Research Fellows with grant (“assegnisti”) in their candidature dossier. Obviously, in case of admittance the Research Fellows with grant must pay the annual tuition fees.

    Practical information for International Doctoral trainees and Researchers to facilitate their stay at Sapienza and in Italy can find at the web link: and the "Sapienza International Researcher Guide" is available in the Download section.


Grants for scholarships according to the country of origine

  • The Austrian Science Fund shall be contacted for research applications and fellowship by potential candidates:
  • Fellowships opportunities for potential candidates from Canada can be found on the Government of Canada website
  • Eventual fellowships available at University of Ottawa for their own students can be found at
  • Student Mobility Scholarship
    The University of Ottawa, namely the Student Mobility Fund and the faculties, offer mobility scholarships to all students selected to take part in an exchange program. Students who take part in an international exchange receive a scholarship of $1,000 for one session or $2,000 for two sessions abroad. Students will receive a cheque at the end of August (for students leaving for a full academic year or for the Fall Session only) or at the beginning of December (for students leaving for the Winter Session).
  • Financial Aid
    Students eligible for financial aid continue to receive it during the exchange period. The amount of financial aid is calculated according to the Canadian cost of living rather than that of the host country. The number of weeks however is adjusted according to the host institution’s university calendar. To find out more about financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid and Awards Office. The students must apply for financial aid before June 16 (approx.) in order to receive the funding on time;
    For Financial Aid and Awards Service contact the Financial Aid and Awards Service by email
  • University of Ottawa Scholarship Program
    In general, if students are eligible for a renewable scholarship offered by the University of Ottawa Scholarship Program before going on an exchange, they will be eligible to receive it during your exchange. Since the cumulative grade point average remains the same during the exchange, they should be able to maintain the scholarship upon returning to the University of Ottawa. To ensure your eligibility, contact the Financial Aid and Awards Office.
  • Embassy Scholarships
    In addition to providing useful information, diplomatic missions also have valuable information on several scholarships offered to Canadians wishing to study in their country. Deadlines for submitting an application are often in early January and February. Therefore, it is important to visit the missions during the fall session.
  • International Mobility Bursary (IMB)
    The International Mobility Bursary (IMB) makes it easier for students in financial need to gain access to the International Student Mobility Program. The bursary is awarded to those who are recipients of provincial financial aid. The awarded amount is added to that of the Student Mobility Scholarship.
  • Other links to institutions that award grants and fellowships to potential candidates :
  • The Faculty of Social Sciences of University of Ottawa holds a competition for the allocation of different types of awards and financial support for international students. A committee considers applications submitted by the program to which the student has been offered admission. Funding is not guaranteed to all students who meet the eligibility criteria. Scholarships are awarded until the funds are all allocated.

    Students with outstanding records may be considered for a Full International Scholarship which includes:
    - A full fee waiver
    - An assistantship during each year of the award; to undertake an assistantship, the student must be able to work at the University of Ottawa

    Students with a CGPA of 8.0 / 10 may be recommended for a Differential Scholarship which includes:
    - A reduction of fees to the same rate as that charged to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
    - Assistantships at the rate offered to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. An assistantship during each year of the award; to undertake an assistantship, the student must be able to work at the University of Ottawa

  • External awards
    - Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
    - Ontario Student Assistance Programme
    - Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS)
    - French Embassy Scholarships
    - Mitacs Globalink Fellowship
  • The Institution that awards grants and fellowships to potential candidates is the Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología, a Mexican research institution, which provides scholarships for master, PhD and postdoctorate candidates, from all over the world who wish to enroll in Mexican Universities. You can consult the website http://


Moreover, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the basis of bilateral agreements has promoted by the European Commission and similar programmes for other countries. See, among other links: